Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chena_gw

Cuttings

chena
17 years ago

I took cuttings of Mrs Jimmy Spangler in the fall they are finally starting to get roots... I am afraid I might have lost the mother plant so this is a big success for me..

Blessings

Chena

Comments (6)

• malibu_rose
    17 years ago

That's great! I am new to hibiscus. How do you do cuttings? When is the best time to do these cuttings? How do you get them to root? Thanks.

• beachbarbie
    17 years ago

Congrats!
    You must have been getting worried! I may (or may not) have lost two hibiscus, but started rooting several cuttings last Fall, so there will still be plenty of pretty blooms in my garden this Spring.
    Barb

• hibsicus
    17 years ago

Hi,your Mrs Jimmy Spangler looks real pretty.You don't have any seeds,that you might want to trade do you.I have hibiscus seeds.Maybe we can trade.Hibiscus is my fravorite flower.Let me know.
    Margaret

• corar4gw
    16 years ago

ME, TOO! I'd like to know if cuttings are taken from new growth or old, before or after blooming. Use a rooting hormone? My neighbor has offered to let me take cuttings - I just need to know when is the best time. cora

• watergal
    16 years ago

Not hard. Best to do in spring or summer. Take several pieces about 4 to 6 inches long, remove all the leaves except for the top 2, and if they are large, cut them into little "mouse ears". Dip in rootone, put in a pot that is half perlite and half vermiculite. Put a humidity dome over them. Put in a warm place with fairly bright but diffused light - no direct sun or they will fry (indoors in a bright room away from a window is good). Check moisture occasionally but with the dome they shouldn't need much. In 4 to 8 weeks, you should start to see some new growth, then they can go into larger pots with real soil and get gradually moved to full sun, and start with the fertilizer.

Some experts swear that they root better if you put a bunch of cuttings together in the same pot, as opposed to one in each pot.

• grumpy1
    16 years ago

This waiting(1st time) to see if my Hibiscus survived the Indiana winter is tough. Lo and behold I now have 20 new shoots coming from the bottom of the 5 original plants. I would like to use them or cuttings to get more starts but have no idea when to do this. Can the cuttings be taken from the new growth as soon as it is established?? Can the new growth be used as the cuttings?? Will using some of the new growth force the rest to grow? Any help will be appreciated.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living