Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwrecker16

Hibiscus no producing flowers

jwrecker16
15 years ago

Can someone please help? I purchased a Hibiscus about a year ago and it was doing fine, until I brought it home. It bloomed for a while, then the blooms slowly stopped appearing. I tried all watering and sunlight strategies I could think of, I re-potted the plant and still nothing. The tree has nearly doubled it's size and produces lots of leaves. I've noticed that there are some small little gnat like bugs crawling and flying about near the soil and have spread to my dwarf banana tree and bird of paradise. Having trouble killing them off.

Comments (2)

• jueluo
    15 years ago

hi i experience the same problem too, what i suggest is leave it stagnant and do not move it around or repot it, you might just hurt it's roots or disturbe it's well-being, my hibiscus had similar problem, only bore foliage but no flower, after i leave it alone for some 4 months, bud started to grow, this is though strange but a law of nature in hibiscus that i have found out. It's advisable for you to ward off those bugs but do not kill them. i have some hybrid that are hand pollinated with same flower and some are cross, do visit this page below

http://stores.ebay.com/jueluo-orchids-house

ernie

Here is a link that might be useful: hibiscus seeds

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

If the "gnats" aren't white (whitefly), you're likely over-watering. What are you using for fertilizer?

Just curious, Ernie. Why only 'ward off' the insect pests instead of killing them?

Al

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022