Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Red Shield from seed

christie_sw_mo
19 years ago

If I start Red Shield from seed this spring, how big do you think it will it get this summer? The description said "fast growing" and gave the size as up to 5 foot but I thought that might be for areas where it is hardy and it won't be hardy here. I'm hoping it will get tall. Should I start it early?

Comments (6)

• bruggirl
    19 years ago

It should reach its full height, but maybe not bloom in your climate. They bloom in the fall.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks bruggirl - I was hoping I'd get a few blooms but was mostly wanting the fast growing foliage. Maybe I should've asked if it's worth growing just for the leaves.

• kiminaz
    19 years ago

I have this plant and cut it way down to the ground because it was getting ratty looking. Will it come back? Its been 6 weeks now and it shows no sign of life.
    Thanks!

• hibsicus
    19 years ago

Hi,I also cut mine back every year,and they do come back.It will take a while,because they don't come back yet.I have some,and they are not getting any leaves on them yet.Just be patient.It is well worth it.The flowers are so pretty.
    Margaret

• njoynit
    19 years ago

I've got some started from seed to grow this year.do ya'll have in full sun or part sun?I'm south TX so my sun gets quiet hot.They are pretty even without the flowers.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I planted only eight of my seeds because I wanted to save some back just in case. I now have eight little sprouts. It only took a couple days for them to germinate and I was very happy to have 100%. Maybe these will flower for me since I started them early. Are there other hibiscus that you would grow just for the foliage as an annual? Or maybe I'm going to be disappointed with this one. Any comments?

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus