Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Shield from seed

Posted by Christie_SW_MO Z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 3, 05 at 15:16

If I start Red Shield from seed this spring, how big do you think it will it get this summer? The description said "fast growing" and gave the size as up to 5 foot but I thought that might be for areas where it is hardy and it won't be hardy here. I'm hoping it will get tall. Should I start it early?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Shield from seed

It should reach its full height, but maybe not bloom in your climate. They bloom in the fall.

o

Thanks bruggirl - I was hoping I'd get a few blooms but was mostly wanting the fast growing foliage. Maybe I should've asked if it's worth growing just for the leaves.

o

I have this plant and cut it way down to the ground because it was getting ratty looking. Will it come back? Its been 6 weeks now and it shows no sign of life.
Thanks!

o

Hi,I also cut mine back every year,and they do come back.It will take a while,because they don't come back yet.I have some,and they are not getting any leaves on them yet.Just be patient.It is well worth it.The flowers are so pretty.
Margaret

o

I've got some started from seed to grow this year.do ya'll have in full sun or part sun?I'm south TX so my sun gets quiet hot.They are pretty even without the flowers.

o

I planted only eight of my seeds because I wanted to save some back just in case. I now have eight little sprouts. It only took a couple days for them to germinate and I was very happy to have 100%. Maybe these will flower for me since I started them early. Are there other hibiscus that you would grow just for the foliage as an annual? Or maybe I'm going to be disappointed with this one. Any comments?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here