Houzz Logo Print
lori2you

another hardy hibiscus question.

lori2you
19 years ago

In 0-4, cant remember the month, (the reason I should up

date my garden journal)'' everytime'' I put something elese

into the yard. Any way it was ordered from a garden catalog

and they always tell you by what date to plant by.

My question is this, will I see blooms this year? Or

will it take two years to bloom?

Thanks Lori.

Comments (11)

• lori2you
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I forgot to add that this was not seed, but a root.
    Does this, make a diffrence?

• lil_rhody
    18 years ago

Good luck w/ your question Lori. It seems they aren't too fond of helping others (answering questions) on this forum. I asked a simple question last year 9-13-04 and not one response to date.
    Maybe people here just want to brag about their plants?
    Unlike many other forums, they are not a helpful bunch.

• brianmkerr
    18 years ago

Hello lori2you, Can you name the species of hibiscus or the plant name ? Seed can grow to blooming stage after 1 to 2 years, though some are known to bloom at 7 months and some can take more than 5 years - most are less than 2 years. Cuttings/roots sounds like Mallow hibiscus .. with root it may be quicker, suspect seasonal conditions will affect blooming times. Others will know this info.
    Good luck, Brian Kerr.

• rjj1
    18 years ago

Brian

It would help if those asking questions provided enough info to get a decent answer.

The hibiscus family is rather large. Shall we just guess and risk giving bad advice?

When you go to the doctor because of illness, you usually play the 20 question game to narrow the field. Then you are examined.

Whining about a lack of help is not the answer. You might look back on your question and see if you provided enough onfo to put someone in a postion to help you. It gets old trying to read peoples minds here. I have enough problems just trying to read my wifeÂs :-)

randy

• rjj1
    18 years ago

Brian

I'm sorry I named you in my response to PaulB. I Did not intend to dog you at all. Please forgive me.

PaulB, I did mean to dog you :-).

randy

• rjj1
    18 years ago

PaulB

Just as I suspected. You give a common name of "Fireball", but no scientific name. You just call it hardy. Common names are a dime a dozen and usually apply to numerous species. I know of a few common names that are given to both temperate and tropical plants. You certainly donÂt treat them the same way.

It much more helpful to give a little more info to get good advice.

randy

Here is a link that might be useful: Your Question

• lil_rhody
    18 years ago

Sorry but when you are new to these types of plants and the label on the plant you buy states "Hardy Hibiscus" "Fireball" it's aweful hard to know the latin name unless you are a born psychic. Besides, since then I was able to do a search on that plant and it truly is labeled on the internet as "Fireball" so I don't think that name applies to many other Hibiscus.
    Still it was a very simple question indeed. I was basically looking for general information (not air layering or grafting) regarding hardy hibiscus in my zone. Along w/ my question, given the facts that my climate zone is readily visible to all and I stated the word's "hardy hibiscus" that was enough input on my part to stimulate some discussion. Even the people in the Roses forum don't have their noses up that high.

• lil_rhody
    18 years ago

"PaulB, I did mean to dog you...."
    If you're the dog, then you are barking up the wrong tree.
    What part of "Hardy" don't you understand? I would not refer to it as hardy if it were tropical.
    But then again, I wouldn't expect a DOG to understand english. :)~

• minibim
    18 years ago

PaulB,
    The only one around here who seems determined to incite something is you - how come you just can't let this post rest already?

Since you won't let it rest, I will finally chime in. I agree with Randy PERIOD. Describing a plant as "hardy" or "tropical" simply defines it's preferred climate and does little to define the species.

Like it or not, knowing the species is actually a helpful tidbit of information if you want an answer.

• lil_rhody
    18 years ago

Hardy Hibiscus - Fireball
    'Fireball' is second only to "Kopper King" in popularity.

It is the second most popular Fleming Hibiscus on the market today, growing to a height of 3-4'.
    Hmmm, let me see....THE SECOND MOST POPULAR HIBISCUS. Geesh, it strikes me odd to find the so called "experts" who are concerned w/ specie unable to recognize the words "Hardy Hibiscus - Fireball considering it's ONLY the second most popular hibiscus.

'Fireball' has bright burgundy flowers that explode over purplish 'cut-leaved' foliage. It has the best flower in the Fleming Hibiscus species because of its overlapping nature, texture, red color and outer shape components.

It is best to plant this Hibiscus in a full sun area and it will tolerate most soil types.

I guess now I answered my original question w/o the help of "experts". In the future I think I'll direct my questions to the Vermicomposting Forum regarding hibiscus. They may know more about these plants.

• dstartz
    18 years ago

Lori,

I know this is late but hopefully it'll help anyway. Since you have a plant from a dormant root you should see blooms this year.

With the long growing season we have here we can see them when growing from seedliings.

HTH,

dstartz

BTW randy, What lil_Rhody said about recognizing Hardy Hibiscus 'Fireball'! What a no brainer.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida