Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter cutting experiment

Posted by Merkity zone 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 16:19

I tried my hand at starting some hibiscus cuttings this winter. This pic of the very dark green leaf is a small sliver of cutting that i just stuck in to see if it would root. It did surprisingly. I also managed to get roots started on a 4 in cutting - yay! now to try more and see how it goes...trying a slightly different method on a new batch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter cutting experiment

this is the slightly larger cutting that has taken root - not a lot of them yet, but its going.

o

Merkity,
I am very close to doing some serious pruning to get ready for spring blooms. Please pass along any info your experiments gain you. I will have the opportunity for cuttings on several on mine.
Ed

o

I just repotted these two cuttings to make sure they were doing okay and I needed to change out their dirt. When I looked the roots have specifically come from the cuts I have made at the growth nodes. I am pretty sure i used some rooting hormone to help. and i kept them wet - not sitting in water, but definitely damp. I have heard that some cultivars root better than others. the two I rooted I think are my red double - ( can't be sure I didn't label them). I just started a pair of cuttings from my yellow butterfly, It had a couple branches that needed pruning. these two i have to keep outside due to aphid - so I guess we will see if they take.

o

Merkity,
Thanks for the update. I bought my rooting hormone a few months ago to get some plants to Darren. As I have family near and will be visiting this year, would you like some? Email me directly to see what plants fit the bill and arrange a future meeting. Again, thanks for the info.
Ed

o

At the moment, Edward LaPlante and Mahogany Splender are ready, many more will be available when the weather warms up.

Darren

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here