Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palmfan

Hardy/Tropical Hibiscus Hybrids

palmfan
13 years ago

I am looking for Hibiscus 'White Angel'. It is a syriacus/rosa-sinensis hybrid. It was developed several years ago, but apparently has not yet reached the market. Is there anyone out there on this forum who can help me locate a way to purchase this plant, or be involved in testing it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

• demonstimpy
    13 years ago

I have 9 or 10 of these zone 4/5 Hibs.
    Kept in pots over winter. I was planning on putting them in the ground this year.....are they actually dead in anyone's opinion? I'm new to these so I am not sure.
    Any input is appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• palmfan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What you have(Had?) is NOT what I was looking for. Yours is a Hibiscus moscheutos hybrid of hardy types. I am looking for true hybrids of the tropical Hibiscus rosa-sinensis with Hibiscus syriacus( The woody Rose of Sharon).
    I have since acquired Hibiscus 'Pink Comet', said to be a hybrid of the tropical hibiscus with the hardy type. Fascinating, if really such a hybrid!
    Meanwhile, I DO have a fascinating hibiscus which can bloom into November, and even December, in New York City, and New Jersey! It is Hibiscus mutabilis 'Rubrus'. This is a real powerhouse bloomer! It is at least semi-tropical. It can put on up to ten feet of woody growth in one season from the roots, if protected at the crown from severe freezing. It is killed back in the winter to the roots (the soil line).

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Palmfan,
    As with the post from 'twizzlestick' who is trying to breed a yellow hardy. I too am interested. With a hybrid the chance to breed to a yellow tropical may give rise to a yellow hardy. Are the hybrids you mentioned hardy to zone 6 ???
    Stush

• palmfan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry for the delay. Haven't been here in quite some time! Pink Comet, supposedly with Hibiscus rosa-sinensis genes is rated by the hybridizer to be hardy in zones 4 to 11. The Hibiscus mutabilis 'Rubrus' will survive in zone 5 or 6 ONLY if grown as a foundation plant against a south facing wall with a mulch. It is the very first hibiscus to sprout for me- as early as February!

11 years ago

Palmfan,
    From what I have been reading. Rose of Sharon has 90 chromosomes and is unable to cross to rosa-sinensis. But I don't believe it. Some progress has already been made. Do you happen to know where to buy Pink Comet? or the others?

• proppen
    11 years ago

At the beginning of May, I weas given a Tropical Hibiscus, pink blooms from Costa Farms. Its pot seems too small but I waited till it stopped blooming, watering it frequently. A week after the last flower was gone, the leaves started falling. It is now June in Ottawa, and I would love to put it into a larger pot and outside.
    What do you recommend I do?

Proppen

• michael_ronayne
    11 years ago

According the summaries of research papers published at http://www.malvaceae.info/Biology/Chromosomes.php, the chromosome count for Hibiscus syriacus is 80. A fertile H. syriacus tetraploid would have 160 chromosomes. One of the few Hibiscus with the same chromosome count is the very yellow African Hibiscus calyphyllus with 2N=80.

There is a new H. syriacus introduction known as Hibiscus Lil Kim which is a stem mutation and is identified as a polyploidy with an unknown chromosome count. Hibiscus Lil Kim is a fertile dwarf with shiny green leaves, extremely cold tolerant and the flowers last for two to three days. The Plant Patent for Hibiscus Lil Kim doesn't identify the parent which could be a triploid or a tetraploid. I suspect that Hibiscus Lil Kim could have a chromosome count of 6N=240 or 8N=360. In my Zone 6b garden Hibiscus Lil Kim survived last winter in a small pot and while only one foot in height is already setting an unbelievable number of buds. The only problem is insect predation on the shinny leaves which I am successfully treating with a systemic insecticide for now.

The chromosome count for Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is given as a range of values which are: 36, 38, 40, 44, 46, 52, 70, 76, 84, 90, 92, 118, 132, 144, so pick any number as they may all be correct. If Hibiscus Lil Kim is a high number polyploidy, chromosome alignments might be possible with other Hibiscus species. Even if the hybrids don't work, Hibiscus Lil Kim is a keeper.

Mike

11 years ago

Mike,
    Thank you. It may be discouraging but I will continue. Also 'Lil Kim' looks so much like all the white w/red center wild ones around me. I heard of a yellow coloring but haven't seen one yet. Thanks for the chromosome counts. Some where I thought it was 90 for Rose of sharon. I will have to remember 80.

• palmfan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A source for Hibiscus 'Pink Comet' is Plant Delights in North Carolina. Happy Growing!
    Jim

• palmfan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a follow up to my post of several years ago. Have any new Hardy x tropical hibiscus hybrids become available since 2011?

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner