Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floridabear

Hibiscus Schizopetalus

floridabear
14 years ago

Hi. Does anyone know where to find this hibiscus? I am just figuring out that it seems to be one that can be rooted from a stem cutting. Is it a 'wild' hibiscus,not a hybrid,so it will root and grow on its own rootstock? I am in south Fla. and have been looking for one, can cant find one anywhere. It use to be so common it was unreal. Now I cant find one to buy...or one to take a cutting of of and try to root it and wait however long for it to bloom.

So..does anyone know where to find one in south Fla. or maybe have one, and be willing to part with a few stems perhaps?

All my hibiscus are grafted, to grow in the soil that is full of nemetodes. But this one seems to grow on its own rootstock, so if I need to, I can try to root one on my own.

Thanks for any help.

Comment (1)

• beachbarbie
    14 years ago

I've grown this hibiscus for several years and it's very hardy. For me, with heavy mulching, it comes back from the root each spring. Very fast grower.
    I got my original from Curt Sinclair at Exotic Hibiscus, which is in La Belle, FL. Great grower and retailer. I've bought from him many times.
    If you need cuttings, let me know.
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Exotic Hibiscus

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?