Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xstasea

How to train hibiscus to grow up not out

xstasea
18 years ago

I bought a couple of regular vs tree hibiscus. I want to keep them but prefer the tree ones. Can I make the regular ones grow tree-like? Thanks :)

Comment (1)

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

I have done this once, with decent results, perhaps others have other/more detailed advice.
    I'm assuming you're talking about tropical hibiscus, Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. If so:
    Since the only difference between the two (they're exactly the same species) is the way they were pruned, yes.
    But... it depends on how straight and long the main branch is. I have one hibiscus that really can't be trained since the main branch branches off into more pretty low down on the plant. Others, it can be done fairly easily.
    Find the main stem that's growing straight up. Then, trim off the lower branches first, shaping up the rest later on.
    To keep from shocking the plant too much, I personally wouldn't trim more than 1/3 of the branches at a time.
    Just remember, since hibiscus bloom on new growth, everytime you trim, the branches have to grow out to bloom again, usually taking a few months, but will result in a bushier plant with more blooms.
    Good luck!
    Barb

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz