Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie- where to purchase?

Posted by quicksilver z6bMA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 4, 11 at 23:18

Hi all! I am in S.E. Massachusetts. I am really keen on huge red or purple blooms of hibiscus. I need hardy plants as I am in zone 6; where do you recommend I make my purchase? I'm not afraid of dealing with online vendors.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie- where to purchase?

What type of Hibiscus are you looking for Hardy Hibiscus or Tropical ( hybrid hibiscus)

o

Hardy plants for southeastern Massachusetts, which is generally considered to be zone 6b. I am looking for varieties with huge blooms.

o

quicksilver,
Welcome to the forum. I can't help because I live in texas. Just wanted to say welcome
pa

o

Hardy hibiscus are very common at most landscape centers. Since they are so prolific I'm sure you can get several offers for free seedlings from members here for nothing more than a SASE. I pull out and compost thousands every spring/summer.

o

!!!!!!My ears just popped up in attention!!!!!!
I guess I'm not really educated as to the distinctions of the different varieties of hardy hibiscus. A few years ago in a neighboring town I noticed plants in front of a home 2'- 3' tall with 5" blooms. I inquired and was told that they were hardy hibiscus. The hardy hibiscus that is sold up here in stores like Lowes and HD are at least 4' tall and sell for $15-$25 per plant. I am under the impression that malva is another name for hibiscus? Anyway- I would certainly enjoy the opportunity of the SSAE thing. I could also exchange canna president or wyoming(?).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here