Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

Cajun Hibiscus???

What's the deal with this series? Are they improved over the old standard tropical hibiscus you find at the mart stores? I know very little about Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, so please pardon my ignorance. Where can you buy a Cajun Hibicus for a reasonable price with reasonable shipping?.... Thank you, Maryl

Comments (6)

• agrigirl
    14 years ago

Live Plants:
    Hypnotic Blooms in Nederland, TX has them: http://www.atouchofthetropics.net/index.html

Ruibal's in Lakewood, TX: http://www.ruibals.com/index.html

North Haven Gardens in Dallas, TX: http://www.nhg.com/

Also found some on E-Bay for sale in 4.5 inch pots
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Cajun-Color-Hibiscus-Bon-Temps_W0QQitemZ130375297464QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e5af929b8

Seeds:
    Did not find any links for seeds. Might check the seed exchange.

Hope this helps!

By the way, where are you located in Oklahoma? I did an internship there last summer. I was in Ardmore from May29th to August 7th. I loved it out there!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll have to get out my map on where Ardmore is. I'm in the Tulsa area. What kind of internship did you do?.....thanks for all the info. I've been to North Haven in Dallas and so wish it was closer. Very few private nurseries left around here anymore, and none even remotely similar to North Haven. Alas for NH, they don't do mail order I don't think. I'll check out your other sites. Again thanks for the effort.......Maryl

• agrigirl
    14 years ago

Maryl,,
    Ardmore is about 3 hours south of Tulsa I believe. Right on I35 just about an 1.5 hours north of Dallas, TX and 1.5 hours south of OK City.

I was one of the summer research scholars at the Noble Foundation. I participated in isolating and characterizing a specific gene in a species of plant that is being looked at as a source of cellulosic biofuel.

It was a great location. I, and the other scholars would take weekend trips to see areas surrounding us. We went to Ft. Worth, Dallas, OKC, Arbuckle Wilderness, Turner Falls and watch the fireworks at Lake Murray (I believe that is the right lake). The only thing that was really hard for me was the heat....and coming across a tarantula was not my kind of fun! LOL I believe one Sunday we wanted to go swimming but it was 113 degrees out and it took your breath away when you went out the door! Plus, my sunburn had a sunburn. You can still see the tan lines even now! LOL

Overall though, I loved the area. If I were still there I would drive to Dallas to get it for you and meet you in OKC. But.....I am back in KY so that isn't going to happen. LOL

Good luck finding your Hibiscus!
    Rhonda

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rhonda, I'm a Louisville girl myself, but have not been back in a coons age. Tulsa is alot like Louisville was back in my day; friendly people, family values, lower crime rate then the national average etc. The weather is similar - zone 6 for Louisville, zone 7 for Tulsa. But we are more humid and obviously are hot summers are longer. Further south of us it just gets worse. If you spent time out in the field in August I pity you........I wish you luck on your degree, and again thanks for taking the time to round up all those URL's........Maryl

• agrigirl
    14 years ago

You are welcome! And thanks for the lucky wishes! I received my BS in Agriculture in December. I am now working on my MS and plan to get my PhD either at UK, LSU or Purdue. Have not picked one yet. LOL

Oh, and L-ville....full of crime now. I had a flat tire on my way back from Indiana to Bowling Green and when I got out of the car to check it a woman was walking down the sidewalk. I looked at her and walked towards her and said "Excuse me but..." And she attempted to mace me! I was all freaked out! I had 3 kids in the car who were all screaming because they thought I was hurt. The lady evidently thought I was going to mug her or something! LOL

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sad comment on how times have changed in Louisville....Maryl