Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerthyme

Bugs and Hibiscus

flowerthyme
17 years ago

I can't seem to get rid of aphids on my hibiscus. I do put them out in the summer, but I have to bring them in in the winter. I've been reading about the systemic insecticide for indoor hibiscus, does it work on aphids? And would it hurt the hummingbirds in the summer and other insects that feed on necter?

Comments (2)

• john_bonzo
    17 years ago

Neem oil maybe? I use it for citrus, never heard of it being used on anything else though. Research it before you use it.

• watergal
    17 years ago

See my post on systemics on the thread below. The Bayer procucts with imidacloprid should work on aphids (check the label to be sure). Neem oil also works, but you have to respray at frequent intervals, which is impractical indoors for me in the winter. If you catch the aphids early enough, they are usually clustered around a couple of flower buds - if you pinch off the buds and throw them away in a covered trash can outside, you can often stop the problem right there, especially if you follow up with a neem spray.

I don't know the effect on hummers, etc. that drink the nectar of either one of these products.

Here is a link that might be useful: systemics

Sponsored