Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs and Hibiscus

Posted by flowerthyme NW (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 07 at 2:20

I can't seem to get rid of aphids on my hibiscus. I do put them out in the summer, but I have to bring them in in the winter. I've been reading about the systemic insecticide for indoor hibiscus, does it work on aphids? And would it hurt the hummingbirds in the summer and other insects that feed on necter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs and Hibiscus

Neem oil maybe? I use it for citrus, never heard of it being used on anything else though. Research it before you use it.

o
RE: Bugs and Hibiscus

• Posted by watergal z6/7 Westminster, MD (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 13, 07 at 21:47

See my post on systemics on the thread below. The Bayer procucts with imidacloprid should work on aphids (check the label to be sure). Neem oil also works, but you have to respray at frequent intervals, which is impractical indoors for me in the winter. If you catch the aphids early enough, they are usually clustered around a couple of flower buds - if you pinch off the buds and throw them away in a covered trash can outside, you can often stop the problem right there, especially if you follow up with a neem spray.

I don't know the effect on hummers, etc. that drink the nectar of either one of these products.

Here is a link that might be useful: systemics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here