Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gowrik_gw

what is this infection on my hibiscus plant?

gowrik
11 years ago

Hi All,

I am very new to gardening.

I have a potted hibiscus plants for a few months now. It looks like it has got some infection. I can't figure out what it is. Please let me know if anyone has an idea.

Basically, on the top of the leaves along the veins there are yellowish brown deposits that can be scraped off. This is found on the stem as well. The leaf slowly turns yellow. Pic in link below. Thanks a lot for your help.

This post was edited by gowrik on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 2:33

Comments (7)

• gmamcgraw
    11 years ago

you might try spraying it with a mixture of 1C acohol, 1C water, with 1T dish detergent, if it is a common bug, it will take care of it, it will not hurt the plant. Good Luck with saving the plant.

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Those are scale. Lots and lots and lots of them. Doubt the suggested home remedy will work.

• gowrik
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your inputs jean001a and Gmamcgraw. 2 small plants have already given up on me :( i have 3 bigger plants and for now wiped the leaves clean with a cloth soaked in a solution of water with a few drops of dish washing liquid and oil (read on another post on this forum)..

Please do let me know if you know a way to keep these off.

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

Regular maintainence c Safer soap will usually help. You can also spot check daily to combat any new scale that pops up c a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol. Tedious, but effective.
    Are your plants indoors or out?

• gowrik
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Leafhead. I have wiped all leaves individually. I live in an apartment and my plants are in pots outside my flat in the corridor.

By the way, there are small bugs including ants in the soil in the pot. Is there a way to get rid of them without insecticides?

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

The ants are there to "farm" the scale, which excrete a sweet honeydew that the ants love.Gently shake the ants out of the root ball and replant. Once you are rid of the scale, the ants will have no reason to come back.
    What do these small bugs look like?

• gowrik
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Leafhead,
    Thank you so much for the info.
    The insects in the pot are white in color and 1 to 2mm length. They look like tiny snails without their shells. They move fast though! They are so tiny, I cant capture them on camera.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions