Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

Seed shape...and type of Hibiscus

vera_eastern_wa
18 years ago

I recieved some Hibiscus in trade just labled as "white/purpled-centered". I am told they could not be H. trionum (thank goodness!), so is possible to know which type (hardy, tropical, annual) of Hibiscus have dark brown small heart-shaped seeds with those colored flowers?

A few pics....one is taken at about 4" away and the other about 8":

{{gwi:332962}}

{{gwi:332961}}

Thanks,

Vera

Comments (6)

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Vera,
    I can't see the pics:( Some people's photos are considered pop-ups by my computer.
    Anyway, you might have hibiscus syriacus seeds. The white w/red center variety is traded a lot. In fact I have some.
    Another white w/purple centered flower traded often is a type of datura.
    The link is a great seed identification site.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Seed Site

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks except I have Hibiscus not Datura which is a whole different family (Solanaceae) all together :)
    I have emailed the trader but she's not replying.

Vera

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

H. syriacus, Rose of Sharon, seeds have small hairs all along the edge.
    Did you have any luck with the Seed Site webpage?
    Barb

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Vera,
    Sorry You must have a flower photo showing. I thought there were just seeds I couldn't see that is why I mentioned datura. I thought the trader might of made a big mistake, not you : )
    Remy

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's ok Remy :) I just have seeds showing above... I did go to the Seed Site before posting here (it in my favorites) and Rose-of-Sharon (H. syriacus) is the only seed shown at the site. They definatley are fringed on the edges on heart-shaped seeds, but I doubt the trader took the time to remove these because they are just TOO clean.
    I guess I'll just see what I get huh? Suprise, suprise LOL!

I guess what I was really trying to find out is if all Tropical seed looked the same; all hardy the same; all annual the same. That way I would at least know what type of Hibiscus I was dealing with and treat accordingly.

Vera

• gardeniarose
    18 years ago

These seeds look like the ones I just harvested from my tropical hibiscus, H. rosa-sinensis.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living