Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

8' blue hibiscus flower

solstice98
19 years ago

This is sold as a blue hibicus but is actually more lavender. Sorry I can't remember the name of it.

The plant is 3 years old and until now produced a steady flow of 6" blossoms. This year it's putting on a show! All of the flowers have been 8"! Amazing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Hibiscus

Comments (7)

• solstice98
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Please pardon the typo. Obviously a 8" flower, not an 8' one. I would have been sending the photo to the Smithsonian if it was 8 feet.

• chrissy823
    19 years ago

Looks like "Marilyn Quayle". Just GORGEOUS!!! Let me know if you ever take cuttings!

Here is a link that might be useful: Int'l Hibisicus Society - M

• tdogmom
    19 years ago

Just a spectacular bloom. :) Congrats on a lovely flower. :)

• jvho
    18 years ago

Soltice98:
    Would love to have some seeds or cuttings from this have looked everywhere around here can't find one.
    Thanks
    Jimmy

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Sol, I get soooo angry when plants are described as 'blue' and are really purple. This happens more often than not. There are very few true blue flowers. I once bought a rose called Blue Girl, and the pic did look blue..sure enough, it was purple..
    HD sells the 'blue' Rose of Sharon, at least that's where I got mine. Toni

• solstice98
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. By searching the hibiscus link I've discovered that it's called "Blue Moon" and some growers have reported that it's not one of their easiest plants. In my Florida garden it's had no problems. I don't treat it special, so it's either luck or a good combination of sun & moisture.

• bruggirl
    18 years ago

What a beautiful flower! I saw some hybrids in hanging baskets at Wal-Mart and had a hard time passing them up, but I've never had luck with them.