Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
8' blue hibiscus flower

Posted by Solstice98 9b Orlando (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 26, 05 at 10:28

This is sold as a blue hibicus but is actually more lavender. Sorry I can't remember the name of it.
The plant is 3 years old and until now produced a steady flow of 6" blossoms. This year it's putting on a show! All of the flowers have been 8"! Amazing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Hibiscus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Oops! typo!

Please pardon the typo. Obviously a 8" flower, not an 8' one. I would have been sending the photo to the Smithsonian if it was 8 feet.

o
RE: 8' blue hibiscus flower

Looks like "Marilyn Quayle". Just GORGEOUS!!! Let me know if you ever take cuttings!

Here is a link that might be useful: Int'l Hibisicus Society - M

o

Just a spectacular bloom. :) Congrats on a lovely flower. :)

o

• Posted by jvho 7tex (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 3, 05 at 9:51

Soltice98:
Would love to have some seeds or cuttings from this have looked everywhere around here can't find one.
Thanks
Jimmy

o

Sol, I get soooo angry when plants are described as 'blue' and are really purple. This happens more often than not. There are very few true blue flowers. I once bought a rose called Blue Girl, and the pic did look blue..sure enough, it was purple..
HD sells the 'blue' Rose of Sharon, at least that's where I got mine. Toni

o
Followup!

Thanks for all the comments. By searching the hibiscus link I've discovered that it's called "Blue Moon" and some growers have reported that it's not one of their easiest plants. In my Florida garden it's had no problems. I don't treat it special, so it's either luck or a good combination of sun & moisture.

o

What a beautiful flower! I saw some hybrids in hanging baskets at Wal-Mart and had a hard time passing them up, but I've never had luck with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here