Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluespiritartist

Blue Hibiscus

bluespiritartist
15 years ago

I am new to growing Hibiscus, just purchased a blue that I think will be very beautiful but am afraid to just plant it anywhwere. Would it be best to start it in a container? Then in a year transplant it outside? Are there any special tricks to growing these? Thanks for any help.

Comments (6)

• JohnnieB
    15 years ago

What kind of hibiscus is it??? The only "blue" hibiscus I know of is rose of sharon (more of a pale purple), which is a hardy shrub.

• bluespiritartist
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is a rose of Sahron called blue satin. So then mostly what all i see in catalogs are not really blue? Thats upsetting! Oh well, i have wanted to start a rose of sharon anyways lol

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

Yes there are blue Rose of Sharons as well as purple, pink, red as well as white, blue and purple, white and red blooms. Doubles and singles, but I found from seed they don't always come true to the parent colors nor have I had any luck getting a double from seed.

• mommaval
    14 years ago

There is a blue hibiscus available and the flower actually looks more blue than lavender.... i've seen the bloom... very beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: cajun blue hibiscus

• home_grower
    14 years ago

I walked to lunch many times from work and saw this bush with beautiful flowers on it. I was about to take a picture of it and ask what it was on this forum but a few days ago I was at my local nursery and found just what I was looking for. It was labeled as a blue Hibiscus. Of course I brought it home. What I like is it has new flowers every couple of days.

• mikeyinfla
    13 years ago

that blue hibiscus is related to hibiscus but not a true hibiscus heres a link to the info http://www.hibiscus.org/species/ahuegelii.php