Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richdelmo

Sap like drop on leafs

richdelmo
18 years ago

What is the tiny sap like droplet on my hibiscus located at the bottom of a many leafs, exactly where the leaf meets the stem.

Comments (4)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Many plants do that (passifloras are one with more obvious droplets). It is a bit of nectar that attracts insects - often for eventual fertilization of the flowers or protection from pest insects by attracting beneficials. They are called Extrafloral nectaries. Some plants produce so much that it can drip all over the leaves! I have seen the little droplets at the base of the leaves on my plum tree.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Just wanted to strike the word "fertilization" in my above response and replace with "pollination". LOL

• richdelmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Jenny, is this an indication that buds are coming soon?

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Not necessarily. The other growing conditions need to be met, including a high amount of light, before a bloom happens. I think that since your plant is doing that, it's probably pretty happy and healthy as this is a normal function for it. I've found that it takes about 4 months for bloom after new growth gets started. Again, this assuming that the plant gets the warmth and light and amount of water it needs.