Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sap like drop on leafs

Posted by rich_manure z6 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 27, 06 at 10:54

What is the tiny sap like droplet on my hibiscus located at the bottom of a many leafs, exactly where the leaf meets the stem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sap like drop on leafs

Many plants do that (passifloras are one with more obvious droplets). It is a bit of nectar that attracts insects - often for eventual fertilization of the flowers or protection from pest insects by attracting beneficials. They are called Extrafloral nectaries. Some plants produce so much that it can drip all over the leaves! I have seen the little droplets at the base of the leaves on my plum tree.

o
RE: Sap like drop on leafs - Pollination

Just wanted to strike the word "fertilization" in my above response and replace with "pollination". LOL

o

Thanks Jenny, is this an indication that buds are coming soon?

o

Not necessarily. The other growing conditions need to be met, including a high amount of light, before a bloom happens. I think that since your plant is doing that, it's probably pretty happy and healthy as this is a normal function for it. I've found that it takes about 4 months for bloom after new growth gets started. Again, this assuming that the plant gets the warmth and light and amount of water it needs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here