Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gc161968

Hibiscus not bloomed in several years

gc161968
13 years ago

Wondering if someone can help me. I have three Hibiscus plants in my home, they all go outside in the summer. Two of them bloom beautifully all year long which amazes me but the third one which is also the largest and the oldest has no bloomed in several years. I have bought the high acid content miracle grow and have used another pellet form fertilizer for blooming plants. I just trimmed it and noticed a majority of the new limb growth is dead but the plant looks healthy and has many new leaves growing on it. I also noticed at the tips where the blooms would be starting they looked like they maybe had some cobwebs or something on them. I also checked and some leaves do feel a but sticky but not much . . I noticed this on other sights of things to look for but not sure what it means. Also should I get it away from my other healthy ones that bloom all year long?

As I mentioned earlier all three plants are next to each other all the time and I have never had issues with the other two. Is the third one just old now (maybe 8 years old but hasn't bloomed in about 3-4 years).

Thank you very much!

Chris Galea

Monroe Michigan

Comments (2)

• gardener1
    13 years ago

Have you tried washing the dirt off the roots and starting with fresh soil and maybe a larger pot? Also while you are in there you could split it to give it more vigor. It sounds as though the plant is just very old and needs a refresher. I feel with new soil and larger space it might pop back. Before you do this take some cuttings and get them growing well before you divide or repot. That way if something goes wrong you will still have the cuttings which are exact clones of the plant. Good luck and keep me posted on results.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

gc161968,
    "I also noticed at the tips where the blooms would be starting they looked like they maybe had some cobwebs or something on them. I also checked and some leaves do feel a but sticky but not much."
    This could be the indication of spider mites. They get on my brugmansia. I use/ spray with a dish soap solution. a good healthy squirt to a 16 oz spray bottle topped off with water. it works on the brugs, rose of sharon and my tropical hibs.
    pa