Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackieras2

Cause of pale leaves with veins showing?

jackieras2
12 years ago

This is a hibiscus (Merci Beaucoup from the Cajun group) growing in a very large pot outside. The buds are developing and blooming but one side of the plant has leaves going pale green with veins showing. Cause and treatment please and thanks.

Comments (2)

• AMaji
    12 years ago

You are probably having some kind of Magnesium and/or Iron deficiency. Chelated Iron and Epsom Salt will help you.

For Chelated Iron, I use http://www.amazon.com/Grow-More-7451-2-Pound-Organic/dp/B004G1GDK0 . It works for me.

For Epsom Salt, go to your nearest CVS, Walgreens etc and get a box.

Good luck.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to start applying this & that with nothing more than the hope it's going to cure an undiagnosed 'something'. Iron deficiencies in containerized plants are usually pH related, and Mg deficiencies rarely occur until the second or third year a plant has been in the same (commercially prepared) potting soil. Applications aimed at supplying only one or two elements essential to growth are more often limiting than beneficial.

My guess is that your plant hasn't been repotted in a long while and root restriction is the likely culprit, which also explains why the plant is exhibiting chlorosis on one side only. Is foliage also primarily concentrated near apices (growing branch tips)?

Have you been using a fertilizer with a middle number higher than the others? - what fertilizer are you using? Have you ever repotted, as opposed to only potting up?

Al

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery