Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itwontgrow

Rose of Sharon trunk split; HELP!

itwontgrow
18 years ago

Good morning,

I'm new to this board and web-site but have tried to garden for several years. How this wonderful site ever appeared on my monitor, I'll never know.

This rose of sharon was here when we moved in this house so we don't know how old it is. It was in pretty sorry shape 5 years ago and through a lot of TLC, we finally got it to blooom two years ago. It hasn't grown much and is only about 3 or 4 feet tall.

Last year I noticed it's bark was breaking off around the bottom of the trunk where two plants intertwined. Before the summer was over nearly all the bark was gone and the split started. I had my husband put a brace around it and we tied it down.

This year, the split is all the way down to the root. The bark is gone but it's leafing out like there's nothing wrong. Plus, there's all kinds of capillaries on top of its soil.

Do I dare dig it up and replant it? Build up it's bed area by adding more soil?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Comment (1)

• njoynit
    18 years ago

I know what your talking about.but can't rember the name of them.They are more common on walnut trees.you may have missed the cats on the trunk.they eat nutrients out of the wood.you may see them on the ground now cause may have fell off tree.Maybe swing into trees/shrubs and may get better answer.

I also have a prevously split ROS from a storm in the past.Rita loosened its repair so Its been re-supported with jumper cables(they quit working,so recycled)If you can keep the split together it will callous over& heal& seal.I also check it from time to time to be sure is still tight.we get some windy days,I'm sure your winds are stronger in the great wide open up yonder.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!