Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dormancy of Hibiscus moscheutos

Posted by ocdgardener 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 07 at 11:40

I planted a 'Flare' Hibiscus moscheutos in honor of my mother's passing in 2002. It has done great. This year however I see no new growth. I can't remember if it usually breaks dormancy by now or not. I live in Texas zone 8. Does anyone know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dormancy of Hibiscus moscheutos

I have two Hibiscus plants and they both have done well over the past two years. The plants are dormant to the point that they look dead as they can be tempermental to the cold. I have noticed today that I am getting some regrowth close to the trunk of the plant, so am anticipating that it is moving out of its dormancy. It is a summer bloomer, so it is still early for the onset of a good amount of new growth.

If yours is mulched, move back the mulch and take a look to see if you have some leaf sprigs close to the trunk. If not, see if there is some green in the wood. I would also water it, if you have had drought conditions. With my hibiscus looking dead after coming off the winter, it can be discouraging but also misleading. It's a fighter and is a tenacious summer grower with my cut back plants growing to around 4.5 feet through the course of last summer. Hope this helps. Joe

o
RE: Dormancy of Hibiscus moscheutos

Cool --- I have no leaf sprigs but I do have green wood!

Yay! Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here