Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
demonstimpy

Dead?

demonstimpy
13 years ago

I have 9 or 10 of these zone 4/5 Hibs.

Kept in pots over winter. I was planning on putting them in the ground this year.....are they actually dead in anyone's opinion? I'm new to these so I am not sure.

Any input is appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)

• princealbert
    13 years ago

demonstimpy
    That looks like one of the hardy varieties. that stem is dead, but the plant should come back from the roots. Mine do. I cut mine back in the spring so thet the new growth dosent have to grow around it. most of mine are in pots because the dirt in my yard is poor.
    pa

• demonstimpy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the response pa.
    I'll get them cut back and in the ground soon then.
    Thanks again.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

I am waiting until after Easter to move mine out of the GH. I expect 1 more cold snap here in central texas.
    pa

• demonstimpy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No greenhouse here. I was hoping they would come back each year in the ground. That the case? Assuming they would, are the going to flower in your opinion?

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Most of mine live in pots. I haven't put them in the ground because I am planning to move. I do have a couple in the ground and they do come back from the roots each year for the last 3 years.
    pa

• rosco_p
    13 years ago

Demonstimpy; I just wanted to share with you a picture of my pink Hibiscus which I also thought was dead but came back from the brink to bloom better than ever. By the way this was a tropical hib. in zone 6. I believe you should still be hopeful. Ross.

• demonstimpy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ross,

Is kept inside in Winter?

• rosco_p
    13 years ago

demonstimpy: Actually this was in an unheated but attached garage for the winter and temps. were down near the freezing range for an extended period of time. Since this picture I have wintered this over in my lower level plant room with the addition of flourescent lighting and it has kept green and flowering off and on over the winter period. Ross.

• mmary12345
    13 years ago

I live in Illinois and bring mine in each winter. Mine also end up looking quite dead like yours. I think as long as you take care of them (water & light), they will 'come back to life' after they are placed outside again. I always cut mine down drastically in the spring before I set them outside.

• harmonyp
    13 years ago

I bought 4 hibiscus last year (my first) - 2 tropicals, 2 non tropicals. Now, in late March the 2 non tropicals have lots of leaves. The two tropicals look like the photo above. So - in 9b climate, how long should it take to be able to tell if these guys are dead or alive (ie. if living, when should I see signs of life?). The limbs "appear" to have life - they don't snap off like dead things.

• rosco_p
    13 years ago

harmonyp: If it were my Hibiscus I would get my fingernail and just scratch off a layer of the outer bark on a couple of branches! ...If you find the layer just under the bark to be green, you should start seeing signs of leaf growth soon.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH