Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to send them outside?

Posted by elizabethaw zone 5 SE WI (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 07 at 13:48

My hibiscuses are always so much happier outside that I want to get them out as soon as possible. But, then again, I don't want to slow their growth or damage them with chilly temps. I can put them outside in a warm spot next to the house and put them in a unheated but totally enclosed shed at night. What would the safest temps be? Obviously I don't gain anything by rushing them too much. What's ideal? Maybe it's smarter to just fertilize more now and get them revved up for spring? They're in a west-facing sliding glass door right now.

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to send them outside?

• Posted by watergal z6/7 Westminster, MD (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 21, 07 at 21:25

At a minimum, you want to avoid any frost or freezing temperatures. I play it fairly cautious and bring mine out in early May. But I have a lot of them (about 13), and some of them are quite large and heavy, so they won't get put somewhere else every night, and I don't want to have to drag them all into the house if frost threatens.

They start the spring on a covered east-facing porch, gradually moving down towards the sunny end, then onto the deck for more sun, then out into the yard. It takes several weeks for the whole progression. This is to make sure I don't sunburn the leaves.

o

i have mine inside in winter in 50F so when its 50-59 in shade i take them out . i have all of mine outside now . and if its get lower then 41F i cover them and if its gets lower then 32F i take them inside . and then i take them inside when it gets 41F in the shade . this past november they even got snow on there flowers and light frost but it dint hurt them

o

Thanks! I think mine are ready for the great outdoors--at least, I am!

o

I put my tropical out after Mothers Day in May every year.
Never had a problem with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here