Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meatballsub_gw

Can this hibiscus be saved?

meatballsub
14 years ago

This hibiscus has been dropping leaves like crazy, but still generating buds. I'm not sure what I am doing or not doing to cause this behavior? I welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (5)

• houstontexas123
    14 years ago

mine looks the same, been lethargic b/c of the extreme cold temps we've had this winter.

just give them plenty of light.

• meatballsub
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This one is in a pot in the house. I got it that way, it has never been outside. It is on the window sill and gets a lot of light. Hopefully it will come back but it is on a steady downhill trajectory...

• rosco_p
    14 years ago

Meatballsub: That is a great looking Hibiscus you have there. I think you will be seeing new growth quickly coming along now. Please note the one I overwintered! I do see a touch of green...so there is still a little hope left. Ross.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jroot
    14 years ago

Meatballsub, your plants looks quite fine. When the hibiscus are indoors, they tend to do exactly as you describe, and drop their leaves. After all danger of frost is past in your area, you can slowly acclimatize it to the natural light, and then give it a bit of fertilizer ( don't over do it ). It will drop its "indoor" leaves and then grow "outdoor" leaves. Then it will reward you with magnificent flowers. When the outdoor leaves are coming along nicely, you can step up the fertilizer. Make sure that the pot has good drainage. You might also want to carefully put it into a larger pot.

Good luck. All looks good.

• meatballsub
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement. I will give it a little fertilizer and hope for the best!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County