Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desirai_gw

Searching for hibiscus

Desirai
10 years ago

Hello,

I live in central AL in zone 7a-8a (depending who you ask)

I want a hardy hibiscus that can survive here. I don't want a hibiscus I have to bring in and overwinter.

I had planted 3 hibiscus that I bought at Lowe's, all of them died during the winter even with heavy mulching. They're all squishy, slimy and rotted.

The hibiscus syriacus survived but I've got 4 syriacus plants; I want something different.

Suggestions?? Looking for seeds on ebay.

Comments (3)

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Desirai,
    Can I assume that the winter results indicate you purchased tropicals? This is the typical result for these types when the temps drop below freezing and/or they sit in a lot of standing water.

H. Syriacus does quite well in arid dry/wet climates, and there are many varieties to choose from. Here in Southern Kansas, they are almost invasive to a degree. But I suspect your only other common hardy will be H. Mosheutoes. The majority of varieties can handle temps well below freezing, but require a lot more water.

Do some searches for Fleming Flowers and/or Summerific. I have several of these hibiscus varieties, and the huge blooms are attention getters.

Hope this helps,

Ed

• Desirai
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is very possible they were tropical. I bought them because they were pretty! :)

The syriacus I have does not produce seeds which makes me very sad. I can only propagate it through cuttings.

• sara82lee
    10 years ago

Luna hibiscus are hardy. There are three color varieties: a pink flower with red eye, a burgundy red flower, and my favorite, a white with a red eye. Although I have one of each :)

I don't believe there are any hardy hibiscus that flower yellow or orange. I wish someone smarter than me would find a way!

Disco Belles are another type of hardy hibiscus. They have similar color flowers, but I don't have any of those so I don't know much else about them.

The one thing about hardy hibiscus is that they do not appear until late spring/almost summer after their winter sleep. For me, that means middle -end of May. But, oh are they worth the wait!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH