Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwod1

Texas Star Hibiscus

gwod1
11 years ago

I am looking for a Texas Star Hibiscus plant due to a quick frost here in Ohio last year killed mine.I grew it in a container and brought it in every winter.I googled it but found nothing...thnx gwod1

Comments (6)

• Gutzmek
    11 years ago

Gwod1,
    If I am not mistaken, the 'Texas Star' is a H. Moscheutos and is a perennial plant. They die back every winter and grow new stalks each year. I have mine in pots and leave them out during several freezes to let them go dormant. During the winter they sit in the cool basement with very low light, and water. As I get ready for spring, I up the watering and bring them upstairs for light and warmth. If you have a swamp mallow, just be patient. Cut back the old stalks and let mother nature handle the rest. Below picture is a H.M. 'Robert Fleming' emerging from hibernation. The next is 'Midnight Marvel' kicking it up a notch.
    Ed

• Gutzmek
    11 years ago

H.M. 'Midnight Marvel'.
    Ed

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Even here they die back each fall. I do hope you are also saving seeds just in case. This is what they are looking like today.

This post was edited by wally-1936 on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 22:01

• TulsaRose
    11 years ago

Texas Star hibiscus is known botanically as Hibiscus coccineus. You can probably locate sources for plants at the link below. If you start from seed, they will bloom the first year but it takes up to four months so be patient. :-)

Rosie

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus coccineus

• ziyakr
    11 years ago

I just ordered two Hibiscus coccineus from the Monticello catalog http://www.monticelloshop.org/606088.html
    I'd been looking for this particular variety, was very excited to find it from a source I support so strongly.

My understanding is that profits from the catalog go to support both the historical sites and the Thomas Jefferson Center for Historic Plants. I bought quite a few seeds from them last year, most were wintersown so I'm still waiting to see how they will do.

While I'm at it...I can't recommend this book highly enough! "A Rich Spot of Earth" Thomas Jefferson's Revolutionary Garden at Monticello

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

There are quite a few Texas Star Hibiscus growers on this website. There are usually plenty of seeds to share for those how enjoy starting them from seed. Mine are coming up earlier this year than they usually sprout. Most of my usually do not bloom until July but from the looks of these right now I may be able to enjoy more blooms this summer. I have had them not even start to sprout about May which made me think they were dead. But now I know to just wait and see. The seeds came from one that was well over 10 foot tall but so far where I am living they only have reached 6 foot tall.

My Confederate Rose Hibiscus got to over 15 feet tall so I cut it all the way to the ground. But I still have at least 3 more that if left alone will be trees in a couple year.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz