Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannpalmyra

Transplanting Rose of Sharon - root damage?

joannpalmyra
12 years ago

Hello. :)

I'm digging up 4 ROS that I transplanted 6 years ago from baby plants found in my yard. They're 6 feet tall and strong now. The problem is that every single one of their thousands of seeds grows into a plant, and it's spoiling the rest of my garden. So I'd like to transplant them to another area of the yard. I've started digging one up and had to cut into a few 1-2 inch thick roots. Will the plants be ok after I replant them, or will the root damage kill them?

I don't like killing or wasting plants, but I worked hard on my cutting and bulb gardens and the ROS are taking over.

Help?

Comments (2)

• twizzlestick
    12 years ago

They should be fine. I have done this too. Just give them a good watering after you have transplanted them. They may wilt some but, should recover.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

At worst, the plant may shed some branches it's unable to support after the root reduction and move. You can prevent the plant from unselectively shedding the branches IT wants, by selectively pruning the plant to remove a common sense fraction of the canopy that YOU think the plant can do w/o and still look good. Considering the plant's natural genetic vigor, I can't imagine that you'd kill it or do it any lasting harm.

Al

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional