Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krismast

Erin Rachel Hibiscus Source?

krismast
11 years ago

Hi everyone! I think this is my first time posting here, I'm usually over in the citrus forum.

Anyway, my mom fell in love with the Erin Rachel hibiscus after seeing it bloom at Longwood Gardens. Last summer we tracked down a plant and it was the last they had in stock. We got it home and we were excited for it to bloom. Well it did bloom but it wasn't Erin Rachel, just a red bloom. Needless to say my mom was disappointed.

So, I was wondering if anyone here knows of or has a source of a cutting of this plant. I would really like to get my mom one and root it and give it to her as a gift. I would be willing to pay for the cutting and postage. Unfortunately, I don't really have anything to trade for it.

Thanks for your help!

Kristopher

Comments (9)

• Gutzmek
    11 years ago

Kristopher,
    I have four Erin Rachel pots that contain 3 plants each that I inherited. They are approaching their five year mark and are still one of my favorites. I posted a picture of them in my recent 'pruning' post, but good news. I left a few stems to start cuttings for two friends here. Depending on my success, I may have some spares. Or if you really, really, want one, make a road trip. I would love to find a good home for 2-3 of these large pots. Have more plants on order and need the room.
    E.R. items of note.
    -Charles Black has sold them online at Hidden Valley Hibiscus.
    -I have read that they tend to produce less blooms the older they get. I believe they need a heavier pruning to optimize the bloom output. Last year I had daily blooms.
    -Lastly, the blooms are temp and sunlight sensitive. Temps around 80-90 with about an hour of direct sun produces the best colors. Morning sun with shade in the afternoon is preferred.

I have attached an image of a bloom after I brought them in last October. The color contrast is a bit light after the change in temp and lighting.
    Ed

• krismast
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ed,

Thanks for the fast reply. Please keep me posted if you have spares! I would really appreciate it! Just saw your other post. You have some very beautiful plants! A road trip may be out of the question, unfortunately. Where exactly are you located?

Kristopher

• Gutzmek
    11 years ago

Kristopher,
    I am reaching out to hibiscus owners with experience in cuttings this week. Hopefully I can improve my track record as this is new to me. I have the opportunity to get 10+ good cuttings if all goes well, but my prior track record is not good. I attached a photo of a ER bloom I got today. Is this the same you are looking for?
    Ed

• krismast
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Ed,

That looks a lot like it, but I remember the edges being more orange. Does temperature affect bloom color? Just curious. I did finally find an online source for an already rooted plant. So I might just go ahead and buy one. But, I want to thank you very much for your help!

Kristopher

• Gutzmek
    11 years ago

Kristopher,
    You are abslutely correct. Environmental attributes will affect a great many items with bloom size, color, etc. Some plants do better with certain temps and amount of direct sunlight. My 'Cosmic Dancer' was a muddied blur of pink with a few flecks of yellow in the middle of summer. But while inside, it produced some very vivid blooms. I am looking forward to 'Voodoo Magic' as this will be its first summer outside. As the temps rise, the reds should darken to a dark burgundy.
    Ed

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

Succesfully propagated cuttings have some leaf growth about one inch wide today. If anyones interested in cuttings I could help!

• katmann
    11 years ago

I would love to have a cutting of one of those gorgeous hibiscus... if you still have some available please let me know.

• Gutzmek
    11 years ago

Still working on a good cuttings method. I am having mixed results so far. Have a few successes I am shipping to a friend south east. Just bought another Hib today and have 3 others on order. Starting to get crowded around here.
    Ed

• shewolf1
    11 years ago

I was wanting to know if you have any seeds? If so please let me know. If no thank you for your time.
    Bonnie K

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!