Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cody_mi

first hybrid seeds

cody_mi
13 years ago

i made my first hibiscus x moscheutos crosses last fall, waited until the pods turned brown till harvesting and stored them in plastic bags in the fridge until three weeks ago. i soaked them in warm water overnight and then potted them in miracle grow the next day. there's no sign of them wanting to come up after three weeks. my greenhouse is only set at 52 degrees, which has been fine for all other seeds that i start. should i bring them into house where it's 70 and see if that'll get them to go?

Comments (4)

• rosco_p
    13 years ago

cody mi: Not that I have any answers for you but I share the same predicament. Am I understanding that your Hibiscus is a perennial type? I recently selfed a tropical type and have since planted the seeds( inside and some also on a grow mat) and as of yet (approx. 2 months) no sprouting! I am beginning to think that maybe the seeds were sterile? I really don't know. I will continue watching this thread for further answers to your problem. Hope someone is able to help you(us). Ross.

• cody_mi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

these are hardy hibiscus

• cody_mi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

moving them in the house did the trick, within a week seedlings started popping up.

• rosco_p
    13 years ago

Where there is a will...there is a way. I guess your persistence paid off. Now sit back and enjoy their growth until you can get them back outside. Ross.

Sponsored