Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can this plant be saved?

Posted by baimas 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 18:41

I bought my first potted hibiscus last year. It thrived and flowered beautifully all summer. I brought it indoors to an unheated sunroom for winter. It looked like the picture most of winter. I wasn't sure if shedding leaves was normal given the suboptimal conditions. I put it out on the deck today and I need advice about what to do to make it healthy again.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can this plant be saved?

That looks very bad.. The first thing to remember about hibiscus winter care is that hibiscus in the winter will need less water than it does in the summer. While watering is essential to your year round care for hibiscus, in the winter, you should only water the plant when the soil is dry to the touch.

If you water more than this, you may damage the roots. This will cause a significant number of yellow leaves on your hibiscus.

o

Thank you for your reply. The reason why I am puzzled is that I barely watered the plant during winter. The soil was moist and I Ieft it alone. I am wondering if there was too much moisture in the soil to begin with when I brought it in. The part of the stem closest to the soil looks green under the bark which gives me hope but I am not sure. Any pointers would be really appreciated.

Baishali

o

I would do a major trim on it, and hope for the best. Good Luck, but I had a Ficus that I found in a dumpster at our apt complex, When I pinched the stem it was green, I did a major cut back to only a few stems left, It flourished into the most beautiful plant. All my neighbors thought I was crazy, because they all thought it was a goner..lol. But now it is gorgeous, over 6' tall and I have to keep trimming it back. Good luck with the hibiscus.

o

Hello,
Did you bring it inside before/ after the first frost? i am not familiar with conditions in your zone, but if it is hit by frost, it is very tricky to bring it back.
Trim it , if you find green stems, then it is worth saving, if it it dry and brown, it is gone. keep trimming till green is seen.
Watch your watering, and introduce it slowly to the sun & warmth and hope it shows new growth. Keep us posted.
Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here