Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harsh Winter

Posted by cfuglein 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 19:00

We had a really hard winter. I covered my hibiscus every time we had a freeze, but I fear it was heavily damaged and has lost all its leavers. what should I do? It was rather mature, about 5' high. Do I trim it way back? Do I leave it alone and pray hard? I'm at a loss.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harsh Winter

I would find a thick stem on the plant and scrape a little of the bark off of the stem and see if there is any green under it. If there is, then the plant still has life in it. If you find it still has some life left in it, I wouldn't do anything until it starts to warm up some more and you see new growth. Or, maybe selectively choose a few branches to lightly trim back and watch those for a week or two to see if you get any new growth on the stems you cut. If you get some growth on the cut stems then I would proceed to trim the rest of the hibiscus, lightly though, I wouldn't do a heavy prune as your hibiscus could be in a fragile state if it did suffer a lot this winter. Just my opinion, others might have more to say. Hope it works out for you. Let us know what happens!

Evan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here