Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoover67

Texas Star Hibiscus - Help!

hoover67
19 years ago

DH bought me two of the beautiful plants at a local home improvement store. He picked them because of the beautiful flowers and because they were supposedly hardy for this area (thus the 1 yr guarantee). Anyway, I am a little suspicious! Are they hardy in zone 7a? They look dead still. Was I supposed to cut them back to the ground? Any help or advise as to how to care for them would be really appreciated. Do you think they are dead? When should they leaf out?

Thanks!

Comments (23)

• beachbarbie
    19 years ago

Yes, they are hardy where you are. They do die back in the winter, but come back from the roots. They won't show signs of life for a while yet, so just be patient.
    It doesn't matter if you cut them back since last years' growth is now dead.
    They are worth it, I ahve several and love them.
    Barb

• susanlynne48
    19 years ago

I grow the Texas Star in Oklahoma City (7a), and it gets about 10-12 feet tall! It's gorgeous and the hummingbirds and butterflies love it!

It is late to show new growth from the roots, as are most hibiscus. They are summer bloomers and love the heat, so they really aren't quite ready to get going yet. I also grow H. moscheutos 'Fantasia', and 'Kopper King'. They are smaller plants. Fantasia has maple-shaped leaves like the Texas Star; Kopper King is bronzy maple-leaf foliage with pale pink blooms with a red center. They are both gorgoues and get huge blooms.

SusanLynne

• hoover67
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Great. I will go out today and cut them back. I must admit though that I love the look of last years dead growth. Adds a nice element to the garden. I also have another hibiscus. I need to find out what type it is! Thank you so much for all of your help. Do they need to be heavily mulched over winter? I did not mulch them very well.

• wqcustom
    19 years ago

I see you're in zone 7. I too am in 7b. Mine start poking up from the ground in April, so it won't be long. Hang in there! Mine were over 7 ft. tall last year.

• hoover67
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Great! I am looking forward to seeing it come up. I found the name of the other hibiscus. It is the Kopper King. Hopefully it will come back also!

• wqcustom
    19 years ago

yep, copper king's a beauty and will be back too!

• stacette
    19 years ago

Just be patient my Texas just sent a shoot up that is about an inch tall within the last couple of days.

• susanlynne48
    19 years ago

Yeah! Mine did, too. I really need to cut back the old stalks now. The stalks are big enough that I have to use a saw.

SusanLynne

• hoover67
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Geee! I wish it was not dark. Should I go get a flashlight to check to see if there is any new growth? I check the beans and the corn everyday. I guess I will have to add the Hibiscus to my list! LOL!

• hoover67
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yea!!! The two Texas Star hibiscus have shoots. Still nothing from the Kopper King though. I guess I still have to be patient!

• susanlynne48
    19 years ago

H67 - my Kopper King has still not shown any sign of growth, nor has 'Fantasia' - just be patient. I'm sure you will get growth soon. The Texas Star is always earlier than my others. Last year, we had more rain than we normally get and I lost several branches on the Texas Star, and ALL the branches on 'Fantasia'. I thought it had been killed. Not so.....it came back and flourished despite too much water. I'm convinced these things can take a lot of abuse.

SusanLynne

• hoover67
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Great!. I will have to look for Fantasia. I have not see one of these locally. I fell in love with the hibiscus last year. I have three Rose of Sharon but the Texas star out-shines them.

• Sharon_0
    19 years ago

I also have lots of Texas Star. I was checking out another site recently and saw a pic of a white one. Also was told by the guy I buy supplies from that the white might be on the market soon. Has anyone seen one, or know of a source to get seeds?

• gloria_j
    19 years ago

Sharon, i have a couple of white texas star seeds that i can send you for sase.. i do have seedlings but they are too small to send ..gloria_j

• mofliss
    18 years ago

i got 2 texas stars and they're probably my favorite plants in the garden. I didn't cut mine back until February or so and they started coming up again around the end of march. One of them is almost 5 feet tall now.

• gmargan_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I just got a small Texas Star Hibiscus plant. I live in zone 9. Should I plant it in full sun or partial sun? Could it live in a large container or does it have to be in the ground?

• princealbert
    12 years ago

Gina,
    all my hibs except 3 are in pots. The dirt where I live is very poor and they have a hard time in the ground.
    My texas stars seem to take full sun pretty good.

Sharon O,
    I have had the white tx star for 2 years now.

Susanlynne,
    What does the copper king Hib look like? Is it a hardy or tropical?
    pa

• leew52
    11 years ago

I need help with my white Texas star. Yesterday all of a sudden all leaves started droping watered and it hasn't recovered. Think I am loosing it. Any ideas of what I can do?
    Lee

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

leew52 sounds like it needs to be in the ground.

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

hoover67, Texas Stars are nice, but many Rose of Sharon varieties can hold their own against 'em.

Texas Star (Scarlet Hibiscus)
    {{gwi:884294}}

Rose of Sharon (Minerva)
    {{gwi:884296}}

Rose of Sharon (Diana)
    {{gwi:884299}}

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Those who grow Texas Star Hibiscus should have lots of seeds each year as even one bloom about 30 seeds and they sure do start easy. Here I start them anytime of the year and end up with too many seeds each time. I have never had any white Star Hibiscus to produce or someone send the wrong seeds. but I do enjoy the Red blooms. I also enjoy the rose-of-Sharon blooms which are hardier the the Florida-Louisiana-Texas Star Hibiscus. I say that because they are native to Florida and Louisiana but ended up being called Texas Star Hibiscus.

• gardenbear1
    11 years ago

I just found this post and want to ask if I should cut my Texas star back ? its in a 1 gal pot and about 10inches tall, will I have to bring it in for the winter or leave the pot and all out side for the winter? this is the first time I've ever had a hibiscus and just not sure what to do with it.
    Thanks for any help
    Bear

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

I would not cut them back until they die back unless you are trying to get more starts from your cutting.

Paul