Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazarob

hand pollenating

lazarob
10 years ago

i am hand pollinating two different type of hibiscus plants, I used a small paintbrush and cross pollinate them, what is next after that, some people tells me that I need to cover them with a small bag, or cloth, etc. unsure if that is true.

how does it take for them to produce seeds after pollinating them?

Comments (2)

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Lazarob,
    I would do a search for hibiscus from seed to get more ideas. I will add some experiences I have had.

1. I always pollinate early when both blooms have opened.
    2. Some plants make better mothers and fathers. Some of my tropicals seem to set seeds routinely, where other may never have. I try to catch unusually colored plants opening when I have a receptive 'mother' plant that is open.
    3. I use a simple q-tip to pollinate. Then closely monitor for the bloom to fall off. Eventually the 'ovary' will begin to swell.
    4. I try and peel back/remove any of the original flower "covers" to minimize disease potential.
    5. After several weeks, the seed pod will cracked open and drop the seeds. I have seen this after they have dried and when they are still green. I allow the seeds to air dry after this.

I think the covering we read about is to help maintain moisture when outdoors. I pollinate, in the fall, after I bring the plants in for the winter. I can better control the environment in these conditions. The cover also helps to trap seeds. The plant will drop seeds when you least suspect it. I learned the hard way to constantly monitor them when I was on all fours looking for seeds that fell to the floor.

This past winter, I started 29 seedlings from the 31 seeds I obtained.

Hope this helps,
    Ed

• merkity
    10 years ago

I have been cross pollinating several of my hibiscus plants. i have found that some of my plants never catch seed, You have to figure out which of your plants will set seed. i use a soft make up brush and try to pollinate the flower as it opens, and most tropical hibiscus won't cross with themselves.