Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaningoakranch

Newbie / How Deep to plant seeds?

leaningoakranch
18 years ago

Ok so I nicked and soaked my Texas Star Hibiscus seeds like people here recommended, now how deep do I plant them. The seeds were taken from a hibiscus at a friends that she bought at home depot last year. Should I plant these in potting soil or can I just stick them in the ground? I just started gardening last year and dont really know anything about how to do this? The last time I tried to get seeds to grow, they died just a few days after there little heads poked up above the dirt. So please be detailed, dont assume I know anything about anything. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Comments (2)

• patecake
    18 years ago

I didn't have any luck with putting them in the ground. I started them in 6" pots with regular potting soil. Probably 5 seeds to each pot. Keep the soil moist but not soggy. It didn't take long at all. When they are up to about 6-8 inches tall I put them in the ground and I actually had blooms the first year. Put them in sun and keep them watered and fed with a good fert.

• plantsofheaven
    18 years ago

You should plant them in good seed starting soil and plant with about a 1/4-1/2 inch of soil over the seed. You should nick and soak the seed for about 2 hours to help it germinate. Hope I helped.
    Good luck,
    Mike

Sponsored