Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamcon

Rose of Sharon (Year 2)

lamcon
17 years ago

Hi there. Late last summer, I planted a 2 foot tall rose of sharon in our front yard. It stayed nice, for the most part. But it never really grew. Now our trees are starting to bud, but I'm not seeing any life out of our hibiscus yet. Any advice? Is it still too early or did I do something wrong? Also, if it does grow, what should the growth rate be? I've tried googling these, but haven't had much luck. Thanks!

Comments (3)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 years ago

Mine is just now starting to come back here in zone 10. Just starting to see a few green buds coming off the very bottom of the old stem. So I think you should give it a little more time. When I lived in a zone 4b it took till the middle of May sometimes for it to start coming back. Don't give up yet :)
    ~SJN

• lamcon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it some more time. Do you have any idea how much growth I should see in our ROS?

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 years ago

It should get quite a bit larger this year and have lots of blooms if it is in enough sunlight. It is a perennial so as the saying goes, 'the first year they sleep, 2nd yr they creep, 3rd yr they leap' etc...
    You can also try scratching the bark down low on the stem to see if you get green bark underneath- not that is the only determinant but if you see green it definitely is still alive. Sometimes the roots are alive (firm, white)and the stem is totally dead though- but it might make you feel better to see the green lol. I know I always do as I am impatient :)

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional