Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener1_gw

hibiscus cuttings how long till bloom

gardener1
13 years ago

I have some hardy hibiscus cuttings that I took last year and propagated in my greenhouse. Can I expect these to bloom this year? If not how long will I have to wait? They have already sprouted their new growth in the greenhouse. They won't start outdoors until late april. Any help on this subject will be appreciated. Thank you

Comments (21)

• princealbert
    13 years ago

I have never tried hardy cuttings, but the tropical cuttings bloomed all winter in the GH in water.
    pa

• gardener1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you've never seen a dinner plate hibiscus you need to check it out. They are the biggest magenta colored blooms I've ever seen and they come back each year. They are so spectacular I have a waiting list. I got another kind as well but I got it after it had already bloomed but I think it's blood red.No kidding the blooms really are as big as a dinner plate.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

I have one named MUY GRANDE that routinely has large blooms.

pa

• gardener1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That looks like a hardy hibiscus to me. Looks alot like mine but my flower petals overlap each other. I read somewhere that you can tell them apart by the leaves. Hardy ones have dull leaves and tropicals have shiny leaves. I don't know if this is true but mine has dull leaves. I like your hibiscus I love that color. Is that in a Greenhouse?

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Not in the GH it was in the yard last summer.
    I have another called pink swirl, the leaves overlap on it.

{{gwi:510894}}

does your red look like this??

Ok enough teasing. these were all last year pics.
    pa

• gardener1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Princealbert Mine does look like that except the male and female parts are yellow. I'm not really a big fan of flowers but this one is definetly my favorite. I could have sold this plant over a hundred times last year alone. Everyone wants to know the name but I don't know the proper name for this other than dinnerplate. It was a division off of my friends plant and I got the better half he was mad. It always amazes me how many blooms it puts out. When it blooms this year I'll post some pics.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

gardener1,
    Is it hard to root cuttings of the hardy ones? The experts never weighed in on this post. Are they rooted in water or soil kept moist?
    How was the division accomplished?
    thanks
    pa

• gardener1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, they are kinda tough.I did take the cuttings late in the season and just barely had time for them to root. They were left in my unheated greenhouse all winter. I got about 2 out of 15 to root. Now I am going to try some beginning of the year cuttings and they should do better. As for the divisions they were dug and split in half through the roots. But the hydrangeas are so simple a child could do it. The hibiscus were rooted in well draining soil. I'm hoping that the hibiscus will bloom this year.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

gardener,
    They should bloom this year. Throw a little bloom booster and superthrive on them. I already have 3 tropicals that have bloomed.
    None of my hardys are big enough to bloom yet.
    pa

• princealbert
    13 years ago

gardener1
    I took green stick cuttings of the red and the white texas star and put them in potting soil with rooting hormone and superthrive. Do you think that will work or should I move them to water?
    pa

• auntyara
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I grow mine from seed. they flower first year for me but the blooms are small. the 2nd year they explode lol.
    heres a pic of a 2yr one

{{gwi:227165}}

• princealbert
    13 years ago

auntyara,
    Great looking flower. It looks as big as my Muy Grande.
    pa

• gardener1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Princealbert, That's how I did mine except mine were then stored in a greenhouse. If you don't have a greenhouse put a clear plastic bag over it to hold in the moisture. That should work but they aren't easy. Good Luck

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Thanks gardener1,
    I'll put them in a baggie.
    pa

• gardener1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pa No problem, but if you like doing propagations you should really consider a greenhouse. I have only had mine for a year and I couldn't live without it now. Grew tomatoes and cucumbers last year. My best year yet with both of them. Seeds grow great, props grow great. No pests, no animals eating them to the ground. Climate control. The plants are so much healthier. And I built a 10x16x12 ft tall greenhouse for a little over $220. With Free windows I got from the free section off of craigslist. Now I'm building the other side another 10x16x12. The greenhouse is changing my life for the better. Good Luck.

• tomva
    12 years ago

If you take the cutting early,here in va its may it will bloom this year..They are very easy to root and grow quickly.But for success you have to root them when they start coming back out of the ground in your area,that is the best time to do it for a high success rate
    Heres one that was rooted from a cutting that I did 2 years ago
    {{gwi:106755}}
    Here is my method,I just did one today check it out at the link,Thats I fireball in the pic

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom'sGarden

• auntyara
    12 years ago

gardener1, so how are they coming along? After seeing this post I decided to try some cuttings too.
    I'm happy to say they are rooting great.
    pa, thanks for the complement :)
    Laura

• Candice_Indiana
    11 years ago

Hi,

I have read all the postings so will be ready to separate in a few weeks as I am in Zone 5B. I have read 2 parts sand, 1 part perlite and 1 part potting soil to create a rooting mix is best type of soil, agree?

• Candice_Indiana
    11 years ago

Hi,

I have read all the postings so will be ready to separate in a few weeks as I am in Zone 5B. I have read 2 parts sand, 1 part perlite and 1 part potting soil to create a rooting mix is best type of soil, agree?

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Auntyara,
    that's a beauty,matches the soda can real well.
    I don't know why I havn't been over on this forum before now, as we grow quite a few hibiscus.I've been with GW since 1999,mostly at the cactus/succulent forum,cottage gardens,calif gardening,the KT and sewing & quilting.
    Kathi

• CommodoreTwit
    10 years ago

A co-worker gave my wife three plants in mid-April. These were essentially a clump of roots, and a clump of cut back stems. Turn your hand, palm-up, and stick your fingers and thumb straight up. That's what this plant looks like. Stuck it in ground with all new potting soil from garden store bag. Watered thoroughly. Several weeks later, I can see very small green shoots budding out of the woody stems. Life! How much growth should we expect this year? Grow into a 2 foot bush? More? Any chance of flowers? When? Late summer? -- First time hibiscus grower.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County