Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pot sizes?

Posted by elizabethaw zone 5 SE WI (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 07 at 21:06

I have three tropical hibiscuses that live inside during the winter and outside during summer. I've noticed that all three probably need repotting--there are roots coming out the drainage holes. So my question is, given that I'm going to have to haul these guys in and out each year and, probably most significantly, find space for them inside!, how large a pot will I end up needing!?

If I need to stay with one final size for reasons of space, is there anything I should do to compensate?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pot sizes?

• Posted by watergal z6/7 Westminster, MD (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 24, 07 at 23:33

You can keep them to whatever size you find convenient, within reason.

Unpot and shake the excess soil out of the rootball. You may find that there was a lot of empty space in the middle of the roots and you can just put new soil in and reuse the same pot. If the pot is actually full of roots, go up a size (2" larger in diameter than what you were using before).

When the pot gets to the maximum size you want to lug around, you can rootprune annually to rejuvenate the plant and keep it suited to its pot (do a search for rootprune on gardenweb for help if you need it). Some varieties are easy to root for cuttings, so you can also start baby plants to eventually replace your big monster.

I have some varieties (mostly fancy hybrids) that seem happy in a 10 to 12" pot for many years. Others are huge (single red flowered garden varieties like 'President') and want much larger pots.

o

Thanks! Great advice--just what I needed!

I can never remember how the pot sizes are measured. Is that diameter?

Thanks again!

o

• Posted by watergal z6/7 Westminster, MD (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 28, 07 at 0:00

You're welcome. The sizes given are the diameter across the top.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here