Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_white66

pot sizes?

Elizabeth White
17 years ago

I have three tropical hibiscuses that live inside during the winter and outside during summer. I've noticed that all three probably need repotting--there are roots coming out the drainage holes. So my question is, given that I'm going to have to haul these guys in and out each year and, probably most significantly, find space for them inside!, how large a pot will I end up needing!?

If I need to stay with one final size for reasons of space, is there anything I should do to compensate?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• watergal
    17 years ago

You can keep them to whatever size you find convenient, within reason.

Unpot and shake the excess soil out of the rootball. You may find that there was a lot of empty space in the middle of the roots and you can just put new soil in and reuse the same pot. If the pot is actually full of roots, go up a size (2" larger in diameter than what you were using before).

When the pot gets to the maximum size you want to lug around, you can rootprune annually to rejuvenate the plant and keep it suited to its pot (do a search for rootprune on gardenweb for help if you need it). Some varieties are easy to root for cuttings, so you can also start baby plants to eventually replace your big monster.

I have some varieties (mostly fancy hybrids) that seem happy in a 10 to 12" pot for many years. Others are huge (single red flowered garden varieties like 'President') and want much larger pots.

• Elizabeth White
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks! Great advice--just what I needed!

I can never remember how the pot sizes are measured. Is that diameter?

Thanks again!

• watergal
    17 years ago

You're welcome. The sizes given are the diameter across the top.

Sponsored