Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vikingprincess_gw

Bad luck any suggestions?

VikingPrincess
10 years ago

Has anyone tried growing hibiscus hydroponically? It seems to be my last choice of keeping them alive as growing in dirt always ends up with a dead plant.
I have tried over wintering the Hawaiian type hibiscus in the house and I've tried not cutting them back and keeping it warm and them watered. Nothing I do works someone even gave me one she kept alive for many years in her house in my neighborhood. I kill every one of them. Everything else I grow I end up having to give some away they do so well but not my favorite flower.

Comments (4)

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

VikingPrincess,
    There are several here that would love to help you further.

I think that hydroponics will be more expensive and time consuming for the desired results. I overwintered about 60+ tropical varieties this past year, and I have no problem assisting you.

Ed

• VikingPrincess
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK thank you Ed I would appreciate any advice you can give please. Kirsten.

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Kirsten,

Can you provide examples?

Ed

• VikingPrincess
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The last two I had kept a heat lamp on the soil over the winter and watered whenever they felt dry. Both lost all their leaves which I had read to expect to happen. Spring came and one of them started to leaf out again. When it was about 80 degrees outside I moved them to the back yard. They got watered when the soil felt dry and one dropped the one leaf and the other never leafed out again. I kept at it for a couple of months and finally gave up. I've read articles on the web but I'm really not sure what I did wrong. The last two were purchased at Lowe's so not sure if it's their stock or my miss handling.

Sponsored