Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bad luck any suggestions?

Posted by VikingPrincess 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 21:13

Has anyone tried growing hibiscus hydroponically? It seems to be my last choice of keeping them alive as growing in dirt always ends up with a dead plant.
I have tried over wintering the Hawaiian type hibiscus in the house and I've tried not cutting them back and keeping it warm and them watered. Nothing I do works someone even gave me one she kept alive for many years in her house in my neighborhood. I kill every one of them. Everything else I grow I end up having to give some away they do so well but not my favorite flower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bad luck any suggestions?

VikingPrincess,
There are several here that would love to help you further.

I think that hydroponics will be more expensive and time consuming for the desired results. I overwintered about 60+ tropical varieties this past year, and I have no problem assisting you.

Ed

o

OK thank you Ed I would appreciate any advice you can give please. Kirsten.

o

Kirsten,

Can you provide examples?

Ed

o

The last two I had kept a heat lamp on the soil over the winter and watered whenever they felt dry. Both lost all their leaves which I had read to expect to happen. Spring came and one of them started to leaf out again. When it was about 80 degrees outside I moved them to the back yard. They got watered when the soil felt dry and one dropped the one leaf and the other never leafed out again. I kept at it for a couple of months and finally gave up. I've read articles on the web but I'm really not sure what I did wrong. The last two were purchased at Lowe's so not sure if it's their stock or my miss handling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here