Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
majestypalm

'Baja Breeze' Question

majestypalm
14 years ago

My Tropical Hibiscus "Baja Breeze" is around 4 years of age, and I've taken great care of my plant it goes outdoors for the summer and I've had nice blooms continuously BUT here's the question. What makes my plant covered in blooms? Perhaps a Precise Fertilization method? is pruning helpful? Your advise would be gratefully appreciated. I want a vigorous plant and I've got the things needed since I'm a avid houseplant grower.

-Wayne-

Comments (2)

• agrigirl
    14 years ago

Wayne,

While the plant is indoors cut back on the watering and provide at least 5-6 hours of sunlight. Keep it away from drafts in a warm area of the house.

In the Spring when you are about to take it outside, remember they are heavy feeders, so fertilize a little at a time instead of one large dosage. I have suggested to others to use a fertilizer of 17-5-24 as the Hibiscus does not tolerate a large amount of phosphorus but sure loves potassium!

So, fertilize every two - three weeks when outdoors with a 17-5-24 (in small doses at a time), make sure it gets at least 5-6 hours of sunlight (if indoors) and make sure you have porous soil (Sounds like you do) and be sure to re-pot as needed to avoid your Hibiscus becoming root bound.

Good luck!
    Rhonda

• jroot
    14 years ago

Great advice, Rhonda.

Pruning definitely helps the plant to branch out, and hence there are more tips for blooms to appear.

jroot

Sponsored