Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hibiscus breeding question

Posted by gardeniarose z10FL/Palm Beach Gar (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 3, 06 at 21:52

I posted this question to the "Hybridizing" forum as well. I am trying (just for fun) a few crosses of different varieties (cultivars?) of H. rosa-sinensis. How long do I have to keep the female parent flower covered in plastic and out of the sun after applying the pollen? I tried finding this information on the web without success. Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hibiscus breeding question

I don't think either is really necessary, but they wouldn't hurt anything.

You are best to do your pollinating early in the morning anyway. Also once we start to get above 80 plus degrees, pollination is difficult anyway.

o
RE: Hibiscus breeding question

Thanks minibim,
I'd read that you need to keep the stigma pads moist until the pollen grain forms a tube down to the ovary. But I didn't know how long that took. It is true that cool, damp weather is ideal for pollination but I just thought I'd give it a shot for fun. I think one of my crosses may have worked because the ovary (calyx?) looks puffy, while the others do not. Only time will tell. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here