Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a Hibiscus, R of S seedling?

Posted by Micki777 6 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 2:23

Last Fall I collected many seeds and mislabeled these seeds which I have not been able to ID since. So far the closest ID offered has been a Hibiscus or R of Sharon. After doing a google image search for R of S and/or Hibiscus seedlings there is a noted resemblance. I did infact collect both of those seeds last yr. (This was my first yr. collecting the amount of seeds I did in addition to receiving tons of newbie seeds from the Winter sowing forum.)

When I sowed it I thought it was a grass seed and being like an annual I sowed them using a heating matt and lights. I've been taking it outside on warm days and leave it in my unheated greenhouse to harden off even on freezing nights with minimal harm to the foliage.

These seedlings were not stratified.

Here's a picture

Photobucket

Photobucket

Your help is grately appreciated,
Thank you in advance

PS I have posted this on "name that plant" as well but if it is in the Hibiscus family those of you propogating this plant will be able to ID the seedlings.

Micki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
updated photos and earliest pics

sorry for the duplicates
Note the woodiness of the stem developing
Here's everything I have on this mystery plant.
As I said, I'm also inquiring at "name that plant" forum
Thank you in advance,
Micki

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
RE: Is this a Hibiscus, R of S seedling?

Micki,
They look like hibiscus.
Which ones are which only time will tell on that one.
Give them plenty of sun when they get old enough.
You will be able to tell the trop hibiscus from the ROS seedlings by the glossiness of the leaves.
Trop hibiscus has real glossy leaves, usually darker green than ROS.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here