Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
humblestumble

Black spot on underside of leaf?

humblestumble
17 years ago

I just received a tropical hibiscus (which has not yet bloomed - is 14 weeks old - bought yesterday). This is my first plant, and I am doing research tonight on it to see how to take care of it and whatnot.

One thing I cannot find out is that if the black spot on some of the leaves I am seeing is something to worry about or not. It's right at the base of the leaf on the underside.

I also see a worm, just now. It's very small with no hair, crawling like an inch worm. And I saw some weird bug earlier that was skinny and tiny, as well as a black ant. So far, I haven't seen more than that.

There are some holes in the leaves (looks like some lucky critter munched them?)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comment (1)

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Humble, can you scrape the black spots off?
    If it was my plant, I'd do some serious hosing..If you can't do it outside, then place in the shower/sink and rid those bugs.
    Are you planning on keeping in a container? Repotting? If you decide to repot, it's best ridding the old soil since you're finding so many bugs.
    But I'd definatly hose off..Where was the plant located when you purchased it? Toni