Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommaval_gw

Cajun Hibiscus-Black Dragon & Night Runner

mommaval
15 years ago

I was soooo happy this weekend when I ran into a nursery booth at out Farmer's Market! They have tons of gorgeous plants, all very healthy (master gardeners) and lots of things I would NEVER find in our stores. Among what I bought were two Cajun Hibiscus, Black Dragon & Night Runner. They gave me advice on caring for them, which they are both about 1 1/2 foot high and one will have a bloom tomorrow....but I wanted input from you guys on what to do with these new babies right away and info on fertilizing it. I think they use regular Miracle-Gro in their nursery, but I always get such awesome advice on here, I thought I might get more!! I am so in love with this breed of hibiscus, I plan on going weekly and building my collection of these, they must have close to 50 varieties. So, give me your input and when it's time to prune, I'll give you my trades!!!! Happy Gardening and God Bless!!

Comments (4)

• alicia1
    14 years ago

Hi mommaval,
    I wanted to ask where are you located?
    I am interested in aquiring more hibiscus as well.

I have a few now, which I feed with fish emulsion, and Space City hibiscus fertilizer. I feed every 2 weeks, alternating both, and once a month I also add epsom salts at the rate of one tablespoon per gallon.
    The epsom salts help get the leaves darker.
    If the leaves get a little yellowish it most likely will need some chelated iron added.
    I would also suggest to keep them potted. Especially the exotic hybrid ones.

• mommaval
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Alicia...I'm glad you gave your input..I was planning on putting them in the ground, maybe I should go with just a large pot and when I take acuttings and have extras, I can see how they do in the ground.
    I am in South Louisiana, about 45 minutes below Baton Rouge. Let me know where you are......
    My parents live near and have had their hibiscus in the ground for many years, they grow as tall as the house, no kidding. I think it's just perfect climate & ground for them here. I never fell in love with them until now....these are beautiful In fact, my night runner bloomed and I posted a picture in the photo gallery of it...it looks like a rainbow lollipop!!! Get back with me, or just email!! Take care!
    Val

• katladie
    14 years ago

I just accquired a cajun hibiscus too, but my leaves are yellowing bad. I live in your vicinity Val , abot 30 minutes below BR. Hope someone can give me advice about the yellowing leaves.

Sharon

• mommaval
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sharon...I did a bit of searching on this forum on yellow leaves...could it be a problem with the acidity of the soil??? That was one problem I saw that can cause yellow leaves. These really are a beautiful variety of hibiscus though...do you know which flower you have? I just bought a third this weekend...Pride of Acadiana. I will keep looking for issues on the leaves for you!!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery