Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Second attempt at 'Freedom' Rose of Sharon - Advice?

zaphod42
12 years ago

Hello. Last year I had a 'Freedom' Rose of Sharon that I purchased through a nursery as part of a design plan. It did well early on, but we got heavy rains and some flooding in part of yard. After which, the plant promptly died. I've received a replacement as part of the warranty. I don't want to plant in the same location for fear of the same thing happening. Any hints or suggestions for planting and positioning in my zone? Can I plant in part sun? What if its only afternoon sun? My full sun options are limited due to the areas of water retention. Thanks!

Comment (1)

• mehearty
    12 years ago

Let's see ... I have 3 Lucy ROS and 1 Blue Satin. don't know how they compare as far as growing conditions to Freedom. I assume they are similar.

The BS is in full, all day sun. It flowers but doesn't grow terribly tall (maybe 5 feet?). I've pushed the zone on that one.

Of my 3 Lucys, 1 faces east & gets morning sun until about 1:30 pm. It's going gangbusters & blooms like mad.

One faces south gets full - dappled sun most of the day (trees nearby). It's so massive that I just took 4 feet off the top, and it's still over 8 ft. Blooms like crazy.

The third guy was just a stick when I got him, so I didn't think he'd survive. I shoved him in the backyard behind the garage facing west. It doesn't get a lot of direct sun because of the trees, but it's sure to get a few hours of the hottest sun of the day. That's not growing as fast as the 2nd one, but it's still quite tall none-the-less with lots of blooms.

I don't fertilize any of them. Does that help?

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz