Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strebber_gw

texas star hibiscus seeds

strebber
15 years ago

I forgot that I harvested some red star hibiscus seeds at the end of last season.

I would love to try and grow some from seed. Now for the questions....do I nick and soak these seeds overnight? Would they be better off started in a pot, or sow directly into the ground? Can I expect any blooms the first season they are planted? Any info you can give is much appreciated!!!!

Comments (4)

• shelia__greenthumb
    15 years ago

Hi,
    You are right about starting the hibiscus seeds from
    nicking them then soaking overnight before sowing them.
    I started some seeds last year but I did not get any
    blooms just foilage. I live in WV so I don't know about
    the conditions in Texas. I'm still waiting for my
    plants to come back from last year. If they are like
    other hibiscus they will come back in May.
    Good Luck,
    Shelia

• mindysuewho
    15 years ago

I started two from seed inside last year and then planted them outside. The same thing happened with mine - foilage but no blooms. I just checked today and see them just starting to put up shoots so hopefully this year they will bloom.

• mcbdz
    14 years ago

I ws my white tx star and got 100% germination at the beginning of march.
    Pattie

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

I guess I didn't know about all these thing people do to get them to grow. I just plant them and wait for them to sprout. I have two different red Texas Star Hibiscus growing in my front bed. I can tell by the leaves and they will have a little different bloom which I expect to see come August. So far I haven't seen any White hibiscus in the area. They are native to Florida and Louisiana and how they got the name I do not know but understand they are hardy to Zone 4? I also have a Confederate Rose hibiscus that is over 8' tall and just starting to put on buds. I was told they didn't start to bloom until it gets hot in this area. It didn't die back this year so has a large head start. Last year we enjoyed over 50 blooms from August until the weather cooled down. Then all I got were seed pods.