Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shauna0128

Dead Stems

shauna0128
18 years ago

I inherited a hibiscus in the fall and have been growing it indoors over the winter. Unofortunately, I think that i may have killed it. Many of the top branches appear to be dead (leaves have fallen off and no signs of new growth. The bottom branches still have green leaves however and there seems to be tiny signs of new growth, so i know the plant isn't completely dead. What should I do? Is it possible to prune the dead branches? Will new growth start? Or have a completely ruined the plant? I'm very new to hibiscus growing but love them and am willing to try anything! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comment (1)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Sometimes you have to be patient. They are fussy to changes in conditions including a change in amount of light, heat, and water. Eventually they will resprout on those dead-looking stems. If the branch is soft and mushy or begins to break when you bend it, then that part is probably dead. But if the bare stem is firm when bent, you have a chance of it resprouting new leaves.

They can be pruned if desired and they bloom on new growth. But the later you wait to prune, the later it will bloom during the year as it takes time for the new growth to mature enough for blooms.