Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pearlgirl_gw

planting rooted cuttings

pearlgirl
18 years ago

Anyone...is it ok to plant my rooted hibiscus cuttings into the ground? My zone is 7bva (Piedmont area) I'm anxious to let Mother Earth do HER thing.

Thanks! Margaret

Comments (3)

• gardeniarose
    18 years ago

pearlgirl,
    Yes, I have 2 hibiscus cuttings which I've planted directly into the ground? Are yours tropical hibiscus? I have read that they don't do very well in temperatures cooler than zone 9. You could plant them into pots, leave them outside all summer and then bring them inside for the winter, as long as they go in a nice sunny window.

• rosaholicme
    18 years ago

I made cuttings in the fall and stuck them in a pot They have leafed out, but when I uprooted one it still had no roots tho it was still green. Is this normal?

• pearlgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gardeniarose, no...my cuttings aren't tropical and thanks for your info.
    Rosaholicme, some of my cuttings rooted in the water and things looked promising (they leafed out nicely)....and..as you said...some that were potted AND leafed out didn't even have roots! They've been planted into the earth now and here's hoping for at least a couple of good results. I have enough of good trade seeds (thanks to Louise :):)) and I'm treating them like rare gold LOL!!!!! I might have to order eventually but not before I give it a really good try myself.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio