Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckyladyd

I think I did something really dumb

luckyladyd
16 years ago

Yesterday I was in Home Depot and saw these lovely yellow flowered hibiscus. (At least I think they are hibiscus.) There were also pink and red ones, but NONE of them had a tag or a label. I took one to the cashier and found out the price (very cheap, $14.99) and bought three. It never OCCURED to me that they might not be hardy here (NJ). Today I went online to read about hibiscus (how tall do they get, etc.) and discovered that they might be tropical! Ack. I don't have space for them in the house in winter (too many jasmine, palms, avocado trees already!) and was planning to put them outside near another hibiscus (which might more accurately be called Rose of Sharon??). Should I take them back? Is there any chance they are hardy here in Z6? (H.D. is no help and can't tell me anything about what they are. . . I already called.)

Comments (3)

• User
    16 years ago

Luckylady,
    I am in SE PA, zone 6. Is the foilage dark green and the big beautiful flower a gorgeous bright color?
    Yes, they are probably tropical hibiscus.
    Take 2 back, tell them you don't want them.
    Plant one in your yard right next to your ROse of Sharon within the next 2 weeks, they don't like the temps below 50 at night.
    It will grow beautiful and big and you will love it all summer, and in the fall, let it die.
    That way, you will only be out 14.99. NOt 14.99 three times over.
    Trust me, it is worth it to keep even one and truly enjoy a tropical plant in your yard over the summer.
    Plant it in the ground, don't pot it.
    Good Luck!

• luckyladyd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, butterfly4u. Yes, they are as you describe. I just knew it was too good to be true that I found such a lovely plant with yellow flowers for z6! I called HD 5 times over the last three days and would you believe that NO ONE there knows anything about this plant! One of my projects over this summer is to build a greenhouse out of old windows. Maybe, if I get it done, I can pull out the plant I keep and overwinter it in the greenhouse, then replant it next Spring. Could be a futile exercise, but it gives me something to try besides just letting it die. What do you think?

• ohno_notanotherparty
    16 years ago

I'm in NJ, too and have several tropicals. They go outside when the weather gets warm. I bring them in for the winter. The only problem I ever have with them is whiteflies & aphids, which I hit up with various things.

Sponsored