Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wally_1936

Darren this is my first bloom of your Mahogany Splendor Hibiscus

wally_1936
10 years ago

I ended up with 4 out of 5 cuttings. I have given 2 away I have one in my front flower bed and one in my backyard. There lots of those funny buds starting but this was my first surprise bloom. I love the idea that I can have blooms from early spring until late fall. It sure is a tough plant. Many thanks
Paul

Comments (4)

• RetiredFlorida
    10 years ago

Looks great Paul! Glad you are happy with them, it does seem to be a hardy little plant. The neatest feature is how it blooms all up and down the stalk, not just at the top.

Thanks for sharing that.

Darren

• wally_1936
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for this wonderful gift I can keep on giving as it gets too big? Yes the one I have in my backyard has its second bloom this morning. I am trying to pollinate but not sure if this will happen. There are lots of buds up and down the stems. What I love about this plant besides the color is I can now have blooms over a much longer period than do any of my other hibiscus. I also love the way the bloom tucks in the bloom when it closes. The bloom is beautiful even after it closes.

I looked online and they say it is not only dought hardy but can grown in pond water.

This post was edited by wally-1936 on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 22:16

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

That's gorgeous,i've never seen that one..We have quite a few hibiscus,and i'd love to find one like that,even the foliage is pretty.
    TFS
    Kathi

• wally_1936
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I do have a few seeds I could send your way. Once they get growing they can get over 10 feet tall. They need to be pruned back to help them stay bushy or they will bend over.

Sponsored